Amid dismal reviews and controversy, many readers still believed that pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquaio deserved to win in his last bout with Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez.
In a poll conducted on Inquirer website, which began Sunday and ended Wednesday, 965 readers or 57 percent of those who voted said that Pacquaio deserved to retain the title. On the other hand, 732 readers or 43 percent of the total voters believed that it was Marquez who should have declared a winner.
According to latest Pacquiao news, the controversy came after the crowd, mostly Mexican supporters of Marquez, who watched the fight live at the MGM Grand Garden Arena last Saturday night (Sunday morning in the Philippines) expressed displeasure at the decision of the judges. Marquez also blasted the decision of the judges and insisted that he should have been declared as the winner.
Meanwhile, Pacquaio fans did not take this sitting down and a viral video entitled “Foot Stopper Trick by Juan Manuel Marquez” immediately spread on social networking sites which showed Marquez stepping on Pacquaio’s foot six times during their fight.
Other than his fans, Pacquiao had also admitted disappointment at his performance during the fight but insisted that he deserved to win.
However, in Wednesday night’s various TV interviews, he dismissed the viral video, saying in Filipino, “I am not the type who complains a lot. It’s (Marquez’s foot-stepping) OK with me. It’s part of the game.” And according to his coach, Freddy Roach, this normally happens with South Paw, which is the stance of Manny Pacquiao, and Orthodox of Juan Manuel Marquez.
The Prospect of Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight
According Philippines Boxing News, the clamor for Manny Pacquiao to start seriously pushing his promoter to arrange what could be the biggest fight ever continues to snowball. Former Pacquiao victim Oscar De La Hoya is hoping Pacquiao convinces Top Rank chief Bob Arum to pursue a match against undefeated superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr.
“The fight that has to be made is Mayweather against Pacquiao,” said the former superstar also known as Golden Boy. “We want the fight, Golden Boy wants the fight, Mayweather wants the fight. “I know for a fact that Pacquiao wants the fight,” added De La Hoya, who spoke to Filipino journalists at the Wild Card gym Tuesday in Los Angeles. For more information visit to our site at