Chairman Luca di Montezemolo stated that for next season the Spaniard as well as the Brazilian will be defending the Italian team.
Despite no official press release being made yet, there is no need for one when the Chairman of the team pronounces about a decision as important as who will be the drivers for next year. And this is the case with Ferrari Scuderia where Chairman Luca di Montezemolo has publically ratified Spaniard Fernando Alonso and Brazilian Felipe Massa as the drivers that will continue to represent in the 2012 F1 season.
To backup his decision di Montezemolo explained how much the F1 had evolved since its foundation in 1950, where driver and car represented 50% of the success each, to press time where the engine represents up to 70% of the accomplishments, leaving just 30% of the credit to the drivers.
Under that philosophy he was determined that Alonso as well as Massa always go the extra mile, and a good example of their commitment can be seen in the wonderful reaction that both of them had in the most recent Grand Prix celebrated at Silverstone Circuit: the Spaniard won the race and Massa was fifth.
After a tough early season with their F150-I not in plenty conditions as Red Bull Racing’s RB7 it was being a nightmare for Ferrari to race heat to head against Australian Mark Webber and defending champion German Sebastian Vettel. It was until Silverstone, eight races later, that di Montezemolo felt that their vehicle has equated with Red Bull to start demanding results, and the duo Alonso-Massa didn’t disappoint him.
A happy di Montezemolo stated that the victory arrived in the right moment for the team after all the hard work from the engineers to improve the F150-I. He also brought up the fact that this victory occurred in the same place and month that Ferrari won its first GP in 1951, which makes him very proud about how 60 years later they are still among the best.
About that victory at Silverstone Alonso said that it shouldn’t get them out of focus and that they need to continue thinking one race at a time without paying attention to the standings, where he finds himself in third place with 112 points, 92 behind the solo leader and defending champion Vettel.
For the upcoming German GP Alonso hopes to keep on demonstration the team’s progress like it was seen at Silverstone. He will face this race with the same winning mentally as he did in Great Britain and the boost that a competitiveF150-I gives him.
With the German GP the 2011 F1 season will be reaching its equator on July 24th, and a good result will be a great incentive for Alonso to keep on feeding his title aspirations. Last season he finished in first place with a lot of controversy, after his teammate Massa slowed down on lap 49 of 67 so that Alonso could pass through and win the race.
It sure wasn’t the best early season for Ferrari, but looking back is not allowed until the end, and Alonso knows it well.